Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Ornament Gift Box
















This is an ornamentgift box I made with Sweet Tooth Boxes. The tag is from Art Philosophy.

I cut all the big pieces of the of box (ConeLy1, ConeLy2 and ConeLy3) at 9.5 inches and assemble according to the directions. For the insert (ConeLy3) I used my Gypsy to "hide" the circle so that it wouldn't have a big hole in it. I was giving airplane ornaments as gifts and I wanted them to sit on top of the insert rather than in the hole. If I were giving a round ornament I probably would have left the hole.

For the gold top of the ornament I cut 2 pieces of at 2.5 inches. I used my Gypsy to hide the circle/hole on one of the pieces and inserted a rectangle that was .60 inches. I hot glued a gold ring in the top piece with the rectangular hole. Be careful! The hot glue makes the metal ring get hot too. I then hot glued the 2 pieces together with the one on the bottom upside down. I tired to center the tabs of the top piece over the spaces between the tabs of the bottom. It was hard because they were so small and they shifted a lot. I then hot glued the whole thing to the top of my "ornament." I made sure to pull all the glue "threads" off before giving it away.

The gold rings I used were left over from my wedding 17 years ago. Yes, you read that right... SEVENTEEN years! I can't believe I have craft supplies that old. But, I'm not a hoarder. I am a collector! LOL! I always knew I'd find another use for them. You can still find the rings at craft stores in the wedding favor aisles. They also come in silver.

I made several of these gift boxes for teacher & church gifts. We always give an airplane ornament at Christmas. We live on a small airport so whenever people look at their airplane ornaments every year they'll remember our family!

1 comment:

  1. I saw this ornament box on Pinterest and wanted to let you know that I think it's great! Love the way you customized them to fit little gifts!

    ReplyDelete